The Amazing Spider-Man will be premiering in theatres July 3rd, 2012. But, do you know why they are doing the reboot?
Through my findings on the internet, I have seen many different hypotheses as to why they are doing the Spider-Man reboot. Many of the forums online (or comments on YouTube videos) assume that Hollywood is just being greedy and wants to pump up the superhero hype. However, that is not technically what is happening.
Marvel had planned to make a 4th Spider-Man movie, but the Director wasn’t really a fan of where the first three Spider-Man movies had brought the storyline. From what I heard, the Lizard was confirmed to be the villain in Spider-Man 4, so apparently they just carried that idea over to this movie. Similar to Bane in the upcoming Dark Knight Rises, I am looking forward to seeing a less-known character make a large appearance on the big screen.
In my opinion, there were a number of reasons as to why doing a movie reboot is a good idea:
- Peter Parker is supposed to be a high-school aged kid. As much as I enjoyed the original three Spider-Man movies, I always thought that Toby Maguire was a bit too old for the character.
- I always felt that Toby Maguire was a little too weak to play the role. I think he did a good job, but I never got that sense of toughness that I wished was there.
- From the previews I have seen, I think Andrew Garfield is going to do a great job. He has the ‘super intelligent’ persona and he can dish out a fair deal of sass.
- I think Emma Stone is a fantastic actress. She is playing the ‘love interest’ (Gwen Stacy, not Mary Jane Watson). I am anxious to see how she performs the role.
- When you think about it, the first Spider-Man came out a while ago. The first one came out in 2002 and as my uncle put it, when watching the movie now, it “looks like a low-budget Power Ranger movie”. I think the reboot will allow for really awesome special effects and enthusiasm to re-enter the spirit of Spider-Man.
- Most importantly, I am looking forward to see if Nick Fury (head of S.H.I.E.L.D. and Avengers) makes an appearance. Speculators online are hoping that Spider-Man receives an offer to join the Avengers team. I am not sure if it will happen or not, but the movie reboot definitely opens up the possibility for the offer.
Till next time true believers,